National Association of Realtors: 15 Essential Marketing Videos Every Real Estate Agent Should Create
In the Field Guide to Using Digital Video as a Marketing Tool, NAR points out that with YouTube practically a household word and digicams and video-editing software becoming ever more sophisticated and affordable, digital video is suddenly where the action is. Property sellers and real estate professionals alike are finding out how easy and effective it is to create and post homemade virtual tours, neighborhood guides, and other videos to help sell real estate. Their Field Guide explores why and how to market real estate using videos on the Web.
Online video has quickly become an indispensable marketing tool for businesses of all kinds. However, many real estate agents (and brokers) are leaving money on the table by not using video in their marketing. This presents an amazing opportunity for you to step in, grab a camera, and differentiate yourself. NAR looks at 15 essential video marketing ideas for real estate agents.
1) Interview Videos | Referrals are essential to building a strong client base. One way to grow not only your real estate network but also generate new leads is through filming short testimonial interviews.
Chances are you’ve worked with a lot of respected buyers or sellers in the past, or even colleagues in the real estate industry (i.e. mortgage lenders, home inspectors, attorneys, etc) who can provide a first person view into how great it is to work with you.
2) Informational Videos | Real estate marketing is all about providing value to buyers and sellers. And one way to provide more value and impress your clients is by creating short, educational videos on common real estate topics and questions.
These short, video snippets let viewers learn at their own pace and extend your reach to a much broader audience through social media.
You’ll build a reputation as an exceptionally helpful, knowledgeable real estate resource, and the extra effort will yield dividends.
3) Local Business Review Videos | When you purchase a home, you’re not just buying the property, you’re buying the neighborhood.
Before making a purchase, home buyers want to know what the community is like. What are the best lunch spots? Where are the best places to get a cup of coffee? What makes this community special? Give potential home buyers a feel for their future neighborhood with a series of short videos of reviews of local businesses and other community features.
The goal here isn’t to directly promote your real estate brand, but to provide a valuable resource to your clients. Plus, local business owners will love the free publicity.
4) Live Stream | One of the hottest trends in video marketing right now is live-streaming. It’s a trend that–for good reason– has also caught on with real estate agents.
Live-streaming lets you communicate via video with home buyers and sellers in real time. It’s the perfect venue for engaging with a broad audience over the web. Conduct a virtual open house. Show your out-of-town buyers the neighborhood. Host a Q&A for first-time home buyers. The possibilities are endless.
Not only is live-streaming an effective video marketing tool, it’s really easy to do. Popular live-streaming apps like Periscope (available on Google Play and the App Store), Meerkat (available on Google Play and the App Store), and Facebook Live, allow you to easily broadcast your live-streaming video on social media, increasing your reach.
5) Listing Videos | Listing videos are the bread and butter of real estate video marketing. Showing off the listings you represent in an attractive and engaging video is an effective way to attract new leads.
When creating your listing video, think of what makes this property unique or particularly appealing. And don’t be afraid to mix it up. Add a combination of video clips, still photos, and quality sound to keep your audience engaged.
6) Agent\Office Promo Videos | Think about what makes you stand out as a real estate agent. As a broker, think about what makes your office, your staff, and your culture stand out. Pinpoint your real estate speciality in a short agent/office promo video. If you’ve won an award, tout it. If you’re great at finding flipping opportunities for investors, talk about it. If you have a unique company culture, highlight it.
Don’t just tell home buyers what sets you apart from the competition, show them with an engaging promotional video.
7) “About Me”/Agent Profile Videos | The awesome thing about video is that it allows home buyers and sellers to get to know the person behind the screen. People want to work with real people. So tell them a little bit about yourself—your real estate experience, your hobbies, your family, your successes, even a funny story.
Your future clients will feel like they already know you, just from watching your “About Me” video.
8) Neighborhood Videos | The mantra is true: location is everything. Home buyers are just as interested in the surrounding neighborhood as they are the property.
Sell home buyers on their future neighborhood with a quick video tour of local hot spots and beautiful scenery. If you can, add a few testimonials on why this neighborhood is the best neighborhood for new homeowners.
9) Community Events Videos | Along the lines of the neighborhood videos, you can also capture special community events (think parades, annual celebrations and special traditions) with a short video. Share it on social media and tag anyone in the video. People who weren’t there will be thankful you showed them, and those that were will be interested to see the event from your unique perspective.
10) Testimonial Videos | Happy, satisfied clients are the best advertisers for your real estate brand. Testimonial videos let home buyers hear it “straight from the horse’s mouth” when it comes to your work ethic and your ability to close efficiently and timely.
Obviously, you can’t force a client to give you a testimonial. But if you had a great working relationship and the client was happy with the end result, a quick, authentic testimonial video can go a long way.
11) “How-to” Videos
Another way to share educational resources and bestow some of your real estate know-how is with a quick “how-to” video. These videos are perfect for sharing your personal tricks and advice on some of the complicated topics in real estate (think “how-to select a real estate agent,” “how-to read an inspection report” and “what to do when your appraisal comes back low”).
Quick tip: to improve your rank in search engine results pages (SERPs), be sure to include the phrase “how-to” in your video title.
12) Housing Market Updates Videos | Most likely, your real estate clients and leads have only a vague notion of what the current housing market looks like. So, help them out by providing updated videos on the current housing market status. They’ll appreciate the extra effort.
13) Humorous Videos | Does humor come naturally to you? If so, don’t be afraid to let your personality shine through in your video strategy. If done well, a funny video can make you more relatable, and–if it goes viral–expose your brand to a much wider audience.
Note: There just aren’t that many people using humor as a marketing tactic in real estate. The opportunity to set yourself apart and make a splash in the industry is huge. Just make sure it fits with your personality, company culture, and brand identity.
14) Instagram Videos | Let’s face it, Millennials are coming. And the agents that will connect with this growing market the best are the ones that make an effort to figure out social media. Instagram, Snapchat, Vine (among many others) are great, emerging platforms to showcase your personality and differentiate yourself.
Go where your clients are. Keep in mind, the goal isn’t to simply use every social media platform out there. That would be impractical, inefficient, and a huge waste of time. The point is to identify where your clients (or desired clients) spend their time online, and meet them there. Spend time exploring these different social media, and you will have an advantage over many other agents fighting for the same business.
15) Year-in-Review Videos | A good way to wrap up the year is with a “year-in-review” agent or office video highlighting your major accomplishments of the year. Show a slideshow of all the homes you’ve sold, all the people you’ve made happy, the events you’ve sponsored. Be creative, have fun with it, and take some time to thank your clients who have made your year so successful.
There are several advantages to using video in real estate marketing:
Jay & Julia Taylor own and operate Caney Creek Studio. Caney Creek Studio is a video production, digital marketing, and social media management agency.